U.S. ARMY CEMETERIES & BURIAL SITES IN FRANCE

 
 

ANDILLY

 
 

 

 

This Third U.S. Army military cemetery was opened on 12 September 1944. The cemetery was located 15 miles northwest of Nancy and 160 miles east of Paris in the Lorraine province of France. At the end of hostilities in Europe, the remains of 3.445 Americans, 195 Allies and some 5.000 enemy dead had received a burial at the temporarily U.S. Military Cemetery Andilly. 

 

The cemetery site was not selected as one of the permanent American WWII military cemeteries in Europe. In 1948 the cemetery was closed in order to carry out the repatriation program and for reburials at a selected permanent military cemetery in Europe of all the American remains.

 

The remains of the Germans stayed at the site. From the U.S. temporarily military cemeteries St. Avold and Epinal an additional 575 and 4.891 enemy remains were transferred to the site for interment.  In 1954 an agreement was reached between France and the Federal Republic of Germany to enable an official German organization to maintain the German WWII military cemetery near Andilly. Further the site was selected as a permanent German WWII military cemetery in France. Between 1957 and 1961 German remains from the French Départements Nievre, Saône-et-Loire, Côte d`Or; Haute Marne, Jura, Doubs, Haute-Saône, Vosges, Belfort, Meuse et Meurthe-et-Moselle were also transferred to the cemetery. The number of burials continued to 33.085.

 

 

 

Copyright 2008, xixcorps.nl. All Rights Reserved